Friday, July 2, 2010

Adjusting nicely

By K.J. Cardinal

Well, we finally brought Leo home today and the little guy is doing just great. Angie and I were both able to take naps with him on the couch and for some reason, that action is what makes it seem real to me. When you can adjust your normal life with a newborn, that's when it all clicks and reality sets in.

Speaking of adjusting nicely, Anna seems poised to be a great big sister. She had moments where all she wanted to do was to be with Leo and times when she acted like he didn't exist, but for the most part, she was somewhere in the middle of those two all day.

My favorite moment of the day with Anna and Leo came when I asked Anna if she wanted to read him a book. She said her patented Anna line, "Um... Sure" and then spent the next five minutes deciding which book she should read.

She brought over this "Goodnight" book she has and proceeded to read it to him. Of course, she can't really read, but she just made up the words corresponding with the pictures and even let Leo touch the soft fur on one of the pages. It was adorable.

I was a little nervous how Anna would adjust to having a newborn in the house and someone that was sure to garner a lot of our attention, but now that I think about it, I was probably more nervous with how I'd adjust. I mean, Anna is a kid and most kid's adjust to most scenarios rather easily, so I think part of my nervousness for her was a reflection of my own feelings.

I didn't quite know how I'd handle having a new baby with Anna. Let's face it, Anna has been and always will be Daddy's girl, and I NEVER want that to change, so I was probably just a tad concerned that Leo may impact that relationship.

Only one day with Leo at home is in the books, but if today was any indication of what's to come, then Anna will handle the transition to a big sister like a champion and she'll continue to be Daddy's little girl... which is nice, because she doesn't really have a choice in the matter if you ask me.



On a completely unrelated note, I purchased this new app for my iPhone, called IncrediBooth, and it created the old school photo booth sequence of me and Anna that you see on the right (Jenny and Rob, you guys would love it!). It works particularly well with the new iPhone 4, which has the little built-in iSight type of camera to make lining up the shots a heck of a lot easier because you can see the screen while doing so.

Anyway, you can be sure to expect a slew of photo booth pictures from here on out on The Cardinal Blog.

1 comment:

  1. Big sisters always love their little brothers, no matter what!!!

    Auntie Carol

    ReplyDelete