Thursday, June 5, 2008

Anna's milestone overshadowed by NBA Finals

By K.J. Cardinal

I know that I might be conceding the "Father of the Year" award with this statement, but even though today is Anna's eight-month birthday, all I can really think about is tonight's Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

I'd like to think it's because I'm taking my dad to the game tonight and we're both fired up, but truth be told the Celtics in the playoffs seems to take precedence over EVERYTHING in my life...even Anna?!? So much of my life has changed with the birth of Anna, but my obsessive compulsive behavior surrounding the C's in the playoffs apparently will never subside.

As you've witnessed right here on The Cardinal Blog over the past month and change, Anna has gotten the playoff bug too. It all started with the awesome Celts sweat suit from Ben & Lynsey and included photo shoots with Red & Larry Legend's sneakers as well as getting creative with her floor mat. I'm glad that she's been able to get into the spirit of the playoffs too...God only knows what I'd have to do with her if she wasn't into it.

Luckily for Anna, over the past week she has been able to become a model student in the subject of the greatest rivalry in NBA history. Her daily routine of watching her favorite cartoon "Super Why" has taken a back seat to NBATV, ESPN Classic and any other station that's carrying anything Celtics related.

She actually witnessed "Daddy's" curse-laden tirade at the DVR yesterday when his 60-minute recording of "Larry Bird's 50 Greatest Moments" was pre-empted by 40 minutes of an overtime WNBA game. Good lord was I fired up. If she could talk, I'm sure she would've asked Mommy, "Why's David Stern an a*shole?!"

Anyway, no need to worry Meme, I'm still feeding Anna and changing her diapers and whatnot. It's just that my mind is 100% preoccupied with the NBA Finals. I'm sure my Dad's in the same boat...especially since I called him this morning to tell him that James Taylor is singing the National Anthem tonight.

It'll be the perfect way to start a night that I've always dreamed of. I know I'm a total sports junkie, so it says a lot when I say that seeing the Celtics in person in the NBA Finals is #1 on my sports wish list. So, tonight a dream comes true for me...now let's just pray the C's can get it done.

By the way, Happy Birthday Anna...and BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

1 comment:

  1. KJ, I'm so glad that you got a chance to see the Celtics in the NBA finals in person and that you took your Dad with you meant the world to him and me.I think the only thing that could possibly be any better for Dad would be if Andrew were to call Dad during the game from Tiffany's blue-tooth! I'm sure Dad told you the story about that.Well I totally appreciate you taking Dad, it is a dream come true for him too. Now hopefully they will win. I love you soooooooooooo much, Love Mom

    ReplyDelete