Thursday, January 24, 2008

Anna learns a trick

By K.J. Cardinal

I know, I know, Angie already told me, "Anna's not a puppy." But on Tuesday I had this brilliant idea that I would teach Anna a trick.

Whenever we feed Anna she's always really active with her hands. She's usually either squeezing or scratching our hands and fingers and I think she's pretty strong. So, I figured that I'd try to teach her how to hold her own bottle.

I guess I was a little off with my thinking that she would be strong enough to hold a full bottle, but it only took about five or six feedings before she actually reached out to grab her own bottle and put it to her mouth. I just have to hold the end of the bottle up because she can't quite do that on her own. I have also taught her how to do push-ups though so she can build up enough arm strength so she doesn't need my assistance.

I actually caught the moment on my video camera too, so check out the video below to see the first time she successfully performed this "trick."

In the coming weeks, I plan on teaching Anna other tricks such as changing her own diaper, washing her own bottles and getting me a beer.

3 comments:

  1. THanks for the heads up email about the video!! Sooo cute! He is going to make a wonderful big brother and it is so nice that he can practice with Anna. It is so heartwarming to hear your stories and see the videos of Anna's life. You could write a book on being a hands on Dad and it would be hit!!
    Love you!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beer trick is key. Cricket and Sam (2 years, 9 months) are learning tricks too. Yesterday, they locked me in the basement twice. Imagine having to do the walk of shame from your own basement into the house... in the snow... with no shoes on... because your 2-year-olds are smarter than you. Shame. Utter shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic Steve. That's awesome. Reminds me of the trick I taught my nephew, Andrew. I showed him that if you lock my Xterra with the keyless entry remote that the horn honks. A few days later, he locked the keys in my sister's car by using this feature. What a FUNcle I am. Tricks are for kids!

    ReplyDelete