Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Training wheels come off

By K.J. Cardinal

After being fortunate enough to have Angie at home for the first three months of Anna's life, today the training wheels come off as I am now playing man-to-man defense on Anna.

Angie left for work around 7 a.m. this morning and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't pretty sad about the whole ordeal. The past three months have been so great. Between welcoming Anna to the world and having Angie around every day, I think it's safe to say that I was pretty spoiled.

I'd like to thank Angie for continuing to work though. I'm sure it's not easy for her, but it makes the most sense for us on a lot of fronts, especially as Adam and I attempt to successfully get Pack Network off the ground. I wish that Angie didn't have to go back to work at all, but that's just not in the cards for us right now...hopefully someday that will come to fruition though.

Anyway, Anna is asleep in her swing as it approaches 8:30 a.m., so as of right now this work-at-home dad thing is a breeze. I think that year one will be the easiest for this, but once Anna starts walking, talking and terrorizing me, things will get a little tougher.

The good news is that reinforcements aren't too far away. Angie's office is only about seven minutes from home and she plans to come home for lunch everyday. Sammy gets home from school around 2:30 p.m. and then Ang will get home around 5 p.m. every night. So, the big stretch for me is from 7 a.m. to around noon when Ang comes home for lunch. That's a solid five hour block where I'll have the little one all to myself.

Anna will quickly learn all there is to know about Mike & Mike in the Morning, that watching SportsCenter a handful of times each day somehow never gets old and that Skip Bayless is a donkey.

All I have to do now is figure out when on earth I'll be able to shower?

3 comments:

  1. I bet today was harder on Angie than anyone else. That first day back after being home with little one was the worst for me!
    As for a shower, well, good luck fitting one in. 5 AM sounds good.
    speaking of terrorizing, it's hard to type with a 3 1/2 year old trying to "help".
    :)Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Vicky! This is the hardest day for Angie!! You are among a growing number of Dad's though that do the child care thing. Peter and I had an appointment with a photographer today (for Valerie's wedding)and he had his studio all set up to entertain his 2 year old daughter. It is very imprissive to see a Dad jump into this role!!
    Best of luck!!
    Love
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! You better recognize! I made it through the 1st day...4,042 new emails to start the day off in the office. I made up for it with big hugs & kisses for Anna when I got home.

    ReplyDelete