Thursday, February 7, 2008

This Old Guitar, revisited

By K.J. Cardinal

Not to harp on the "This Old Guitar" poster that I made for my dad, but I'm so proud of that thing. That image is my desktop image on my computer, so I see it everyday and it always makes me smile. I have designed a lot of things in my life that I would personally deem "cool", like countless websites, media guide covers, game program covers, logos, a billboard on the Mass Pike, banners that appeared on ESPN & ESPN2, etc. But, this had to be my favorite thing that I've ever designed.

The meaning behind it was really something special that I knew my dad would LOVE. I was also psyched how good the photo of the guitar came out and how the old photo looked in the background. But, I was giddy as a school girl when the FedEx truck pulled up and the driver handed me the tube with the print in it. When I opened up the tube I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. It was awesome.

I know that email, websites and technology in general have taken over the world, but there's nothing quite like holding a printed piece of material in your hand...especially if you've designed it. I love doing this blog because I get to pour tons of my creative energy into it, but seeing designs on screen doesn't hold a candle compared to designing something and then getting to hold the printed piece.

Again, I know I'm a dork, but this is the type of stuff that turns me on...well this and my wife :)

No comments:

Post a Comment